Wednesday, January 9, 2008

5 dangerous things you should let your kids do

A clip from the founder of the Tinkering School. His thesis: expose kids to dangerous things, because they will always do the most dangerous thing with whatever we give them anyway (cue: picture of kid jumping off bunk bed).

The five things (his book is about 50 things):

1. Play with fire
2. Keep a pocket knife
3. Throw a spear
4. Deconstruct an appliance
5. Drive a car and (!) Violate copyright

I'm amused, but he does have a point. Take a look.



I have to say that we started out being somewhat overprotective of BB, but we've loosened up a lot. You can't really hold back an energetic boy. What I really fear is him darting out into traffic or something random like that. Cars seem so lethal to me. I'd much rather give him a spear to chuck, in controlled conditions. I have to say that I myself have in recent years found my inner boy with four and five and a half - I've recently taken apart a few of our appliances (not always successfully) and become an afficionado of bittorrent.

No comments: