Saturday, November 3, 2007

Upgrades

A little departure today from my usual family guy self to my inner geek. I put a 500 GB drive in the basement computer this morning, an MDD G4 that now has three separate drives. Over the last few days I upgraded our machines to Leopard, OS 10.5. The upgrade has a new backup feature called Time Machine, which automates the process. I've been using Chronosync to do daily backups of my work and weekly backups of our photos and music, but when I found out I could use Time Machine over AFP shares I decided to give it a try. The new operating system is supposed to make wireless networking even more stable, although our network has been running pretty smoothly since we switched out a Buffalo router for an Airport. In any case, doing hourly backups over the network should test its stability. By the way, the 500 GB drive cost just over $100 from Newegg. A remarkable price for that much space.

For those in the know, I'm not sure if I find Cover Flow any better than column view. I may have to change my nested habits, but given how iPhoto and iTunes organize folders and files I'm not sure we'll see the end of nested folders any time soon. One of these days, I suppose, with mechanisms like Spotlight and Cover Flow, one won't need anything more than one big folder for everything.

No comments: