Sunday, November 11, 2007

Modest Mouse

I've been listening to Modest Mouse for the last couple of years. Since I recorded their songs off internet radio, I never really knew much about them. They sound kind of like a blend of Pavement and old Pixies, but they also take liberties with their music that continues to surprise me, moving from sweet sentiment to rage in a matter of seconds. They've been compared to Radiohead, but I like MM better because they have less self-regard. I guess I'd say that they bend the post-punk sound in ways that make sense to me. I found this interview today, and Isaac Brock, the band's leader, makes even more sense. I've often felt the same way.

From Filter Mag about selling their music for ads:
“Hipsters all have trust funds,” Brock says with a grin. “These are the people who can afford to have all these principles and ethics when it comes to doing music. From the time I came out of the fucking gate, I had to figure out how to help my family. And you're gonna fucking tell me about punk rock principles and shit? I had two jobs washing dishes by the time I was in seventh grade, plus a night job. Sometimes I worked for two days straight, wouldn't go to school and shit. So what the fuck about punk rock are you gonna teach me? Yeah, well, tell that one to me when you're washing dishes, fuckface. Where are your ethics and principles there? If you have an option and you've got skills and motivation to do shit, then fucking do it. If you don't want to become a fucking corporate butthole and things, well fine. Do the shit your way."

No comments: