Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Trust

I'm trying to work out a section on trust.  Since affect is one of my primary topics, I've come across some good material on how trust produces pleasure in those trusted.  Of course, Giddens and Luhman have their theories in relation to the need for trust in modern societies.  But theirs are mostly institutional analysis.  Many years ago I worked on a small breach of trust case and did some legal research for it; it's pretty obvious that trust makes the world go round in one way or another (what made Enron such a shock). What trust makes me think of most, though, is of being on buses, subways, or airplanes, surrounded by many strangers, all of whom you must trust.  Usually, it works.  This may be part of the reason why terrorist attacks, like 9/11 but also bus bombings and the like, bite into our consciousness so deeply.  On a very deep level we generally trust others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff. I've never thought of the trust factor when on airplanes, trains, buses. Often my biggest fear in these situations (esp. on airplanes) is that I will have a panic attack/freak out in some way, disturbing others. So, my fear is of breaking that trust.

RSH said...

Well, I'd say . . . exactly.