Thursday, September 20, 2007

The earnest post

I often think that I need a practice.  Meditation before an idol, discipline of the body, celebration of many gods, anything but the Judeo-Christian tradition.  What I'm most intrigued by is some sort of reverence in the face of information, like data from the universe.  

Now, how does one translate this into a discipline?   What would a religion without an earth-centric bias look like? One way would be to take an ascetic path into physics, for which I don't have the math. I don't think it's too far a stretch to take the collapse of space and time seriously, though, to see the universe as continually being recycled, as Tim Ferris suggests in his documentary, Seeing in the Dark.  (Ferris doesn't believe in the Big Bang, for example.) I like the idea that parts of the universe are in us, and we will, in turn, become part of the universe.

No comments: