Sunday, September 9, 2007

The gift

LB was hanging out with me last evening in the basement. He came back and forth, from the open area of the basement into my office, to hand me things. Chalk, bottles of finger paint, whatever detritus BB has managed to stash away in the basement. He also likes to bring me my own papers and books lying about. I don't think this is the same as fort/da, where a young child makes something disappear and reappear. According to psychoanalysis, fort/da prepares and reaffirms the child's ability to live without his or her mom. But what does the gift do? Is it some kind of extension of fort/da, or does it develop another ability or strength? Perhaps the power to give is greater even than language. Interestingly, he's bringing me material -- stuff to draw and paint, to write with or write on -- that he knows we'll have a mutual interest in.

No comments: