Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Buzz cuts

I took the BB to soccer practice last evening.  Parents around here, and perhaps everywhere, bring their portable chairs and set up what looks to me like their living room scene there on the sidelines.  I refuse to bring a chair.  It's expresses a certain arrogance, I realize, to sit on the ground and read my New York Times.  But I just hate this idea that we have to create domestic comfort wherever we go.  Reading the paper is domestic enough, god knows.  These are families with 3 + kids, so I suppose after the first you decide that you might as well be comfortable.  The way it's done, though, suggests that they are all sitting around the TV.  And they openly remark about how weak or inexperienced they feel a coach is, as though it really were their living room and someone had just gotten up to bring more diet coke or bud light back into the room.   They're bothered she's a woman, of course, and not a guy named Justin or Darren or some other strong midwestern name.  What I really want to say about their kids, though -- to these people who are so obsessed with sports they would watch fleas play basketball -- is that they should stop giving them damn buzz cuts.  

No comments: