Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tension

The state of my academic career is in tension. On the one hand, I'm missing the deadline for defending my dissertation. Around here they require one to finish in seven years (so biblical) or else one's candidacy expires. This means I have to recertify my comprehensive exams. So, I'm just about to blow by my seven-year anniversary. On the other, I found out today that I've won a departmental prize they give to the "best graduate student." At least in this little world, it's some serious recognition (or, at least, it testifies to the generosity of my dissertation committee).



I've been wondering if I am even going to finish, which is complete foolishness. Over and over the ante keeps being upped, and it says over and over, you must finish. The ways of the universe may be mysterious, but I know what I have to do.

1 comment:

Kevin Marzahl said...

Yeah, yeah, props man!

What's the pyramid thingy?