Sunday, December 9, 2007

Wet leaves


Spent a few hours Saturday morning at the library, which was surprisingly quiet the weekend before finals. Raked the backyard in the afternoon. BB spent some time with me, first lazily raking, then playing something called "attack." It's been raining (no snow, I'm afraid), so the leaves are heavy. My fingers and wrists are still jerking in unpleasant ways.

Both boys spent time at the local library. LB acted as though we'd thrown him on a pile of gold. It's great to see him getting into books as much as his brother. He can spend evenings bringing books to us, which also involves sitting carefully on our laps each time.

We're spending christmas at home for the first time since I can remember. We're going to try to put a festive face on the house and add some outdoor lights - I'll let you know how it goes. The lights will go on the bushes, not the gutters, thankfully. We're competing with a house down the street with santa's sleigh on the roof and reindeer in the yard; it's all worth it, though, to see a slumped santa in the yard of the same house watching a plastic TV. Midwesterners, I've come to appreciate, tend toward whimsical yard art.

For me it's yet another creeping step toward a full embrace of suburban values. Home sweet home, bros, home sweet home.

No comments: