Wednesday, July 15, 2009

White Supremacists

The reason why southern white men (I'm talking to you Sen. Sessions) think that Sonia Sotomayor is going to rule in favor of latinos and minorities against the interests of white people is because this is how they (all the white men) would (and do) rule. I remember not quite understanding while growing up why white people were so paranoid about minorities in positions of power, and I guess it's taken me this long to understand: they only comprehend their own power through tribal (i.e., white) allegiance. The irony here is that a beneficiary of the meritocracy like Sotomayor is more willing than even white men to uphold the status quo. I suppose it is this, the likelihood that she actually believes in the rule of law (and it's profound effect on her own opportunities) rather than in an elite of wealthy corporate titans (I'm talking to you Justice Roberts), that makes her so threatening. I suppose that other recipient of the meritocracy, Justice Thomas, is the distorted exception to this rule.

No comments: